US Cities With the Best Weather
For many people, climate is one of the biggest considerations in choosing a city to visit, move to, or for retirement. Use these lists to find cities with the best weather in the United States for each season and month.
Studies have found that most people prefer the same kind of city weather. The lists here apply that information to select America's major cities which have the best weather.
To make the list, a city has monthly averages that include maximum temperatures of 68 to 79 degrees Fahrenheit (20 to 26 degrees Celsius) and less than one day a week with rain. Each city also has light winds, averaging under 10 miles per hour (16 kilometres an hour) and gets more sun than most other US cities.
As noted for each season, a few cities on the lists lie just outside of these climatic ideals, but still rank among those having the best weather.
The 40 major cities that were evaluated for the best weather rankings are all cities in the United States with over 440,000 people on July 1, 2006, according to the US Census Bureau's estimates.
While these lists are just of large US cities, any places nearby that have similar geography likely share their good weather.
Cities With Warm and Dry Winter Weather
Cities with warm winter weather are in Florida, Arizona and southern California, where the climate remains wonderful from at least November to February.
Only Los Angeles and Long Beach stay warm enough, though, to keep within the best temperature range all winter. The Arizona cities also have perfect temperatures in February. Otherwise the cities on this list get a little cooler during winter months, although daily highs usually get up to the mid-60s Fahrenheit.
Phoenix and Tucson average at most four days of rain a month in winter, while the rest are slightly above that. Jacksonville, with its 6 to 8 rainy days each month, is a little wetter than the other cities listed below.
- Phoenix and Tucson, Arizona in December, January and February
- Long Beach, Los Angeles and San Diego, California in December, January and February
- Jacksonville, Florida in December, January and February
Best Cities for Great Spring Weather
April is a particularly pleasant month with warm, sunny weather in many American cities. A few cities do get windy in spring, though. Out of those listed below, Las Vegas, El Paso and Albuquerque are the windiest, with speeds averaging just over 10 mph during spring.
- Phoenix and Tucson, Arizona in March
- Las Vegas, Nevada in March and April
- El Paso, Texas in March and April
- Fresno, California in April
- Long Beach, Los Angeles and San Diego, California in April and May
- Albuquerque, New Mexico in April and May
Best City Weather in Summer
Many places in the country with great fall and spring weather get too hot for comfort in summer. But the ocean breezes along the Pacific coast provide good summertime temperatures.
Only in San Francisco can those breezes get a little strong, averaging slightly more than 10 mph. Also, Seattle is a little rainier than the rest of the cities on this list, with 5 or 6 days a month of rain during summer.
- Long Beach and Los Angeles, California in June
- San Diego, California in June, July, August
- San Francisco, California in July and August
- Portland, Oregon in July and August
- Seattle, Washington in July and August
Cities With Good Fall Weather
Autumn is another time of year when many US cities get great weather. Nearly every large city in the country has ideal temperatures in September or October. Cities with perfect fall temperatures but more rainy days than those on this list include Washington DC, Chicago, Louisville, Baltimore, New York, Kansas, Detroit, Cleveland, Columbus, Philadelphia and Milwaukee.
Although their temperatures are perfect for the months indicated here, Denver, Atlanta, Charlotte, Oklahoma, Memphis, San Antonio and Dallas - Fort Worth are all slightly damper than the other cities, getting six rainy days a month.
- Denver, Colorado in September
- San Francisco, California in September and October
- San Diego, California in September, October and November
- Fresno and Sacramento, California in October
- Atlanta, Georgia in October
- Charlotte, North Carolina in October
- Albuquerque, New Mexico in October
- Oklahoma City, Oklahoma in October
- Memphis, Tennessee in October
- Dallas - Fort Worth, El Paso and San Antonio, Texas in October
- Long Beach and Los Angeles, California in October and November
- Phoenix and Tucson, Arizona in November